Monday, July 8, 2013

Eggplant Mash

Well, since it's been a full year since I've posted here, I figured it's time to start up again!

I don't eat meat so these Meatless Monday posts will be easy for me.

Here is my favorite way to enjoy eggplant.  I adapted a recipe I found online to make it my own and have since called it, for lack of a better name, Eggplant Mash.  It doesn't sound appetizing, I know...but it is delicious.  Tastes like eggplant parm without all the fat.

1 large eggplant, peeled and sliced into 2 inch thick circles
2 medium size zucchini, peeled and sliced into 3 inch circles
1 large sweet onion, chopped
1/2 jar marinara sauce
1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
1 large clove garlic, minced
1 egg
1 cup shredded cheese, any kind

Place eggplant and zucchini slices in a large pot, cover with water and bring to a boil, and cook until soft.

Meanwhile, saute onion and garlic, some salt and pepper in some olive oil until soft.

In a 8 x 8 casserole dish, spread some marinara sauce on the bottom, about 1/4 of a jar.

When eggplant and zucchini are soft, place in a collander and press out all excess water.  Then transfer to a bowl and add the sauteed onions, 1 egg, bread crumbs, and all but a handful of shredded cheese.  Mix well.

Spread this mixture right on top of the marinara sauce in the casserole dish.  Top with remaining 1/4 jar of marinara and sprinkle that last handful of cheese on top.

Bake at 350 until hot and bubbly, about 30-40 minutes.

Serve with salad and a hunk of crusty bread and butter!

No comments:

Post a Comment